The Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) SmartWay program has recognized 48 carriers, retailers, manufacturers and logistics companies with its SmartWay Excellence Awards.
One of those companies was Karr Transportation, which picked up an honor in the Freight Carrier and Multimodal category, according to Baxter Bulletin. The Arkansas-based carrier was one of the 48 recipients of the said award for “effectively hauling all freight with environmentally and energy efficient SmartWay carriers.”
The environment-friendly performance was attributed to Karr’s compliance with Paccar’s technology in place coordinated with the Thermo King Auxiliary Power Unit. Together in the day-to-day operations put in place by Karr, it helped the environment by trimming down carbon dioxide emissions without compromising freight performance, resulting in a savings of $657,243.29.
Albert Beers, president of Karr Transportation Inc., took pride in the technology adapted by his company. “As company president and former driver, I have spent years working on cost savings and fuel reduction.”
The SmartWay Program focuses on the freight and logistics industries and provides:
- A comprehensive system acknowledged in the freight and logistics industry regarding recording, tracking and compiling data related to fuel consumption as opposed to the emissions made in the supply chain;
- Support for offsetting risks that companies and their stakeholders might encounter in the course of energy sustainability in a worldwide scale;
- A template to help other couriers in identifying better modes of transportation, equipment that suits the emission reduction approach to consuming energy sources and strategies that are environmentally feasible without compromising operational efficiency; and
- A network of like-minded associations in the transportation industry working alongside state and local governments apart from environmental cause-oriented groups for better brainstorming opportunities.
The entire list of 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awardees for retailers, manufacturers and logistics companies are:
- Alliance Shippers, Inc.
- Knichel Logistics
- Union Pacific Distribution Services
- Gap, Inc.
- HP, Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Kohl's Department Stores
- Ledvance, LLC
- Lowe's Companies, Inc.
- Meijer Distribution, Inc.
- The Home Depot U.S.A., Inc.
- Whirlpool Corporation
The 2017 SmartWay Freight Carrier and Multimodal Excellence Award recipients are:
- Bison Transport, Inc.
- Brian Kurtz Trucking, Ltd.
- Carter Express, Inc.
- Celadon Group, Inc.
- Cliff Viessman, Inc.
- Contract Freighters, Inc. d/b/a CFI
- Contract Transportation Systems, Co. (Sherwin Williams)
- C.R. England, Inc.
- CRST Expedited, Inc.
- Customer Service Quality Transportation
- Dedicated Transport, LLC
- Diversified Automotive, Inc.
- Doug Andrus Distributing, LLC
- Duncan and Son Lines, Inc.
- Eagle Transport Corporation
- General Logistics, Inc.
- Halvor Lines, Inc.
- Heartland Express, Inc. of Iowa
- Hirschbach Motor Lines
- Hub Group
- J.B. Hunt Transport, Inc.
- Karr Transportation, Inc.
- Knight Transportation, Inc.
- Logistics Trans West, Inc.
- Lone Star Transportation, LLC
- May Trucking Company
- McElroy Truck Lines, Inc.
- Mesa Systems, Inc.
- Mesilla Valley Transportation
- Mustang Express LTD
- Navajo Express, Inc.
- Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc.
- Owens & Minor Distribution, Inc.
- Pacific Cascade Trucking, LLC
- Penske Logistics, LLC
- Pitt Ohio
- Rocha Transportation
- Royal Trucking Company
- RSP Express, Inc.
- Ryder Dedicated Transportation Solutions (DTS)
- Sheehy Mail Contractors, Inc.
- Swift Transportation Co.
- USXL Worldwide
- Walmart Transportation, LLC
- Werner Enterprises
- White Arrow, LLC
Stay up-to-date with the latest commentary and insights on FreightTech and the impact to the markets by subscribing.