After a record-breaking year of nominations , the Truckload Carriers Association announced the 2019 Best Fleets to Drive For. The competition, hosted in conjunction with CarriersEdge, employs a four-pronged approach to identifying the best of the best.
The competition is open to all for-hire trucking companies operating 10 trucks or more in the United States or Canada. There is no cost to participate, and fleets do not have to be TCA members.
There are four stages to the Best Fleets evaluation process:
- Nomination – A driver or independent contractor nominates the fleet through this site. One nomination per company each year is sufficient.
- Questionnaire – Company representatives complete and submit an online questionnaire, providing details on company programs and policies.
- Interview – CarriersEdge staff conduct a follow-up interview to review the questionnaire and fill in additional information.
- Driver survey – Drivers/contractors at the fleet complete an online survey, providing feedback on company programs and overall satisfaction.
“When it comes to working with drivers, our Top 20 Best Fleets to Drive For are North America’s best-of-the best in the for-hire trucking segment,” CarriersEdge CEO Jane Jazrawy said. “This recognition program is now in its 11th year, and each year we’ve seen fleets up their game – making a positive difference in the lives of drivers with innovative programs.”
The 2019 Top 20 Best Fleets to Drive For are:
- American Central Transport, Inc. – Kansas City, Missouri
- Bennett Motor Express – McDonough, Georgia
- Bison Transport – Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Boyle Transportation – Billerica, Massachusetts
- Central Oregon Truck Company, Inc. – Redmond, Oregon
- Crete Carrier Corp – Lincoln, Nebraska
- Epes Transport System, LLC – Greensboro, North Carolina
- Erb Transport – New Hamburg, Ontario
- FTC Transportation, Inc. – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Garner Trucking, Inc. – Findlay, Ohio
- Grand Island Express – Grand Island, Nebraska
- Halvor Lines, Inc. – Superior, Wisconsin
- Landstar System, Inc. – Jacksonville, Florida
- Maverick Transportation, LLC – North Little Rock, Arkansas
- Motor Carrier Service LLC – Northwood, Ohio
- Nussbaum Transportation Services, Inc. – Hudson, Illinois
- Prime Inc. – Springfield, Missouri
- Thomas E. Keller Trucking Inc. – Defiance, Ohio
- TLD Logistics Services, Inc. – Knoxville, Tennessee
- Transpro Freight Systems Limited – Milton, Ontario
In addition to the Top 20, TCA and CarriersEdge identified five Fleets to Watch (honorable mentions).
The Top 5 Fleets to Watch:
- Fortigo Freight Services Inc. – Etobicoke, Ontario
- Leavitt’s Freight Service – Springfield, Oregon
- Liberty Linehaul Inc. – Ayr, Ontario
- Roehl Transport, Inc. – Marshfield, Wisconsin
- TransLand – Strafford, Missouri
Sixteen of the 20 winning fleets also won the competition in 2018, and two fleets, Boyle Transportation and Nussbaum Services, have made the list for the past five years in a row.
Nominated fleets were evaluated using a scoring matrix covering a variety of categories, including total compensation, health benefits, performance management, professional development and career advancement opportunities.
“We do a very thorough analysis and take a deep dive into each fleet’s programs,” Jazrawy said. “An important component in the scoring process is analyzing driver feedback on the company and then comparing it with management’s comments. The two need to align in order for fleets to score well. This year’s Top 20 had an average driver satisfaction rate over 91 percent, and annual driver turnover under 35 percent, so what they’re doing is obviously working.”
John Lyboldt, TCA president, said the annual list has grown to become one of the most anticipated announcements in the industry.
“The winners have set the bar high when it comes to keeping their professional truck drivers engaged while also providing a superior work environment,” Lyboldt said. “This coveted contest reveals the tremendous efforts put forth by these driver-centric companies.”
Overall winners in the large and small fleet categories will be named during TCA’s Annual Convention March 10-13 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The FREIGHTWAVES TOP 500 For-Hire Carriers list includes Thomas E. Keller Trucking (No. ), Transportation Services (No. ), Landstar System (No. 6), Prime Inc. (No. 15), Crete Carrier (No. 19), Central Transport (No. 30), Roehl Transport (No. 54), Halvor Lines (No. 128), Nussbaum Transportation (No. 172) and American Central Transport (No. 283).