U.S./Puerto Rico carriers raise bunker, intermodal surcharges
Rising fuel costs have forced Horizon Lines and Trailer Bridge to increase their vessel bunker surcharges and intermodal surcharges for the U.S./Puerto Rico trades.
Horizon Lines’ bunker surcharge will rise from $310 to $340, effective July 17. The intermodal surcharge will increase as follows:
* Zone 1 (Fla.; N.J.; Texas) from $40 to $45.
* Zone 2 (Ala.; Conn.; Del.; Ga.; Md.; Mass.; N.Y.; Pa.; S.C.; R.I.) from $90 to $100.
* Zone 3 (Ark.; Ky.; La.; Miss.; N.H.; N.C.; Tenn.; Vt.; Va.; W. Va.) from $120 to $140.
* Zone 4 (Colo.; Ill.; Ind.; Kan.; Mich.; Minn.; Miss.; Ohio, Okla.; Wis.) from $135 to $155.
* Zone 5 (all other states, Canadian provinces, Mexico) from $150 to $170.
“A convergence of events including speculative activity, demand outpacing supply, recent political unrest, and tight refinery/production capacity has continued to drive the price of oil upwards,” Horizon Lines said. “We hope that the price of oil drops from these historically high levels although at least for the short term it appears they will stay constant or possibly even increase further.”
Trailer Bridge’s bunker surcharge will rise to $340, effective July 10. The intermodal surcharge will now be as follows:
* Local drayage Jacksonville, $45.
* Points from/to Fla., $75.
* Points from/to Ala.; Ga.; and S.C., $100.
* Points from/to Ark.; Ky.; La.; Miss.; N.H.; N.C.; Tenn.; Vt.; Va.; W. Va., $140.
* Points from/to Conn.; Wash., D.C.; Del.; Iowa; Ill.; Ind.;
Maine; Md.; Mich.; Mo.; N.J.; N.Y.; Ohio; Pa.; R.I.; Texas; Wis., $155.
* Points from/to all other states and Canada, $170.