• ITVI.USA
    15,433.470
    55.400
    0.4%
  • OTLT.USA
    2.727
    -0.016
    -0.6%
  • OTRI.USA
    20.850
    0.030
    0.1%
  • OTVI.USA
    15,408.360
    58.320
    0.4%
  • TSTOPVRPM.ATLPHL
    3.280
    -0.020
    -0.6%
  • TSTOPVRPM.CHIATL
    3.190
    0.050
    1.6%
  • TSTOPVRPM.DALLAX
    1.560
    -0.030
    -1.9%
  • TSTOPVRPM.LAXDAL
    3.420
    0.090
    2.7%
  • TSTOPVRPM.PHLCHI
    2.220
    0.050
    2.3%
  • TSTOPVRPM.LAXSEA
    4.080
    0.000
    0%
  • WAIT.USA
    126.000
    1.000
    0.8%
  • ITVI.USA
    15,433.470
    55.400
    0.4%
  • OTLT.USA
    2.727
    -0.016
    -0.6%
  • OTRI.USA
    20.850
    0.030
    0.1%
  • OTVI.USA
    15,408.360
    58.320
    0.4%
  • TSTOPVRPM.ATLPHL
    3.280
    -0.020
    -0.6%
  • TSTOPVRPM.CHIATL
    3.190
    0.050
    1.6%
  • TSTOPVRPM.DALLAX
    1.560
    -0.030
    -1.9%
  • TSTOPVRPM.LAXDAL
    3.420
    0.090
    2.7%
  • TSTOPVRPM.PHLCHI
    2.220
    0.050
    2.3%
  • TSTOPVRPM.LAXSEA
    4.080
    0.000
    0%
  • WAIT.USA
    126.000
    1.000
    0.8%
American Shipper

COURT HASTENS REVIEW OF STB MERGER MORATORIUM

U.S. COURT HASTENS REVIEW OF STB MERGER MORATORIUM

   The U.S. Court of Appeals has granted a request for expedited judicial review of the rail-merger moratorium imposed by the U.S. Surface Transportation Board on March 17.

   The STB ruling stalled a proposed merger by Canadian National and Burlington Northern Santa Fe, which would have created the largest rail network in North America.

   Under the court’s schedule, oral arguments will be held in Washington June 13. A decision is expected shortly thereafter.

   Opening briefs from merger proponents, CN, BNSF and intevenors opposing the moratorium are due May 5. The STB’s reply and briefs by those who support the moratorium are due May 19. Answering briefs by CN and BNSF are due May 24.

   A motion to stay the STB order was held in abeyance pending the completion of oral arguments.

   CN president Paul M. Tellier welcomed the court’s decision. “We our optimistic about the outcome of our challenge given our strong case in law. If successful, CN and BNSF will immediately move forward to submit their common control application to the STB for a decision by the agency in 2001.”

We are glad you’re enjoying the content

Sign up for a free FreightWaves account today for unlimited access to all of our latest content

By signing in for the first time, I give consent for FreightWaves to send me event updates and news. I can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information please see our Privacy Policy.