New Orleans port back to normal after Gustav
The Port of New Orleans said it has resumed normal operations Friday, three days after bidding farewell to Hurricane Gustav.
Terminal operations restarted on a limited basis Wednesday, as Coastal Cargo Co. began offloading cargo from the Federal Patroller, one of 11 vessels that remained in port during the storm. By Saturday, 13 vessels are scheduled to arrive at the Port of New Orleans.
Three gantry cranes were working the MSC China container vessel Friday at the Napoleon Avenue Container Terminal, with Seaboard Marine’s Seaboard Pride, Hapag-Lloyd’s Bonn Express and Mediterranean Shipping Co.’s MSC Turchia and MSC Chile soon to be worked Friday night and through the weekend at Napoleon.
“We received very minor wind damage at the Napoleon Container Terminal and our crane team did an excellent job of getting all four of our gantry cranes back online by Wednesday,” said Gary LaGrange, president and chief executive officer of the port.
In the Port of Mobile Jimmy Lyons, director and chief executive officer of the Alabama State Port Authority, said earlier this week “we’ve really dodged a bullet. We did not have any damage at our facilities and we’re fully operational at all terminals.”