Heard on the waterfront: Hey, good lookin’
The Municipal Art Society of New York has cited the Battery Maritime Building in lower Manhattan for best commercial restoration in an annual competition.
The award was presented to the New York City Economic Development Commission for the work on the fa'ade of the landmark building.
Designed by architectural firm Walker & Morris and constructed of cast and wrought iron, the Battery Maritime Building is one of the last remaining Beaux Arts-style ferry terminals of the early 20th century.
Constructed in 1908, it was expected to become a bustling transportation center, connecting Brooklyn ferry service to elevated trains, buses and Manhattan roads. However, soon after its completion, ferry traffic dwindled as the bridge and subway systems expanded. It closed and was subsequently used primarily for storage and office space.
The building will continue to be used as the ferry terminal for boats traveling to Governor’s Island, but the city is also seeking proposals to use the second floor waiting hall for a retail store, restaurant or event space.